Home is a safe haven for children where they can play with toys and cuddle with their pets. Unfortunately, in addition to their favourite things, many children share their homes with fungi that can cause fungal infection of the skin, making them less than comfortable.
Kids are sensitive, with thinner skin than adults, and an immune system that is developing, they are not well-equipped to fight against fungi present around them.
However, there are many ways through which you can try and keep your little one safe from these germs.
- Dry them thoroughly after every bath and when they wash themselves after coming from outdoors. The fungi that causes fungal skin infections like ringworm, jock itch and athlete’s foot thrives in moist and warm environment, therefore this precaution.
Fungi can easily attack them through feet and it is very important to keep their feet dry all the time.
- Wash their shoes, socks, clothes, and bed linen around the house regularly to remove any fungi on them.
- Make sure they wear clean and dry slippers, sandals or shoes when they go in public areas such as garden, playground, swimming pool, etc. They are at a high risk of catching an infection at these places, making it all the more important that they stay safe while playing. Once back home, make certain that they wash and then dry themselves from top to bottom.
Alternate their footwear every 2-3 days to give them time to dry out.
- Children have a tendency to pick up and share things. Many of these things may carry fungi. Educate children so that they know the nuisances of not taking care of themselves.
- If your child has caught a fungal infection of the skin, do not forget to apply topical anti-fungal creams like Ring-Out on the affected areas, in small quality. This cream is specially made to treat skin infections, ringworm, etc., and will bring relief to their soft skin.
Practicing good hygiene will not only keep your children away from fungal infections, but also protect them from many other diseases.