Gyming has become the new definition of being fit and fine. Gyms are the most preferred places for maintaining one’s body, but they can also be a breeding ground for germs. Undeniably, you go to gym to get fit, not to get infections. However, sweating and infected equipment are the common catalysts for causing fungal skin infections.
Some of the different types of fungal skin infections you can acquire at the gym include:
It is a fungal infection of the skin caused by fungi called dermatophytes. Fungi feed off keratin, a protein which is found in the nails, hair and skin. Ringworm is easily recognizable because of its ring-shaped appearance. It can affect various parts of the body such as arms, shoulders or neck. Moreover, it can infect anyone, from child to adults and even animals.
Also known as the tenia pedis, it is a fungal infection that affects your feet. It is considered to be the infection of the athletes because fungi thrive in warm and moist environments like showers or around swimming pool. People having diabetes and a weakened immune system are more prone to athlete’s foot infection. It causes cracking and peeling of the feet. If not treated, it can also spread to the toenails and other parts of the body.
When you have an overgrowth of fungi in groin areas, it is known as jock itch infection. It is contagious and can spread to other regions through contact with infected person or wearing sweaty clothes. It is most common in men or adolescent boys.
These infections are characterized by a red, itchy rash, and can easily be treated with best creams for ringworm. Besides, there are few precautions which you need to take to enjoy your gyming experience:
- Wear clean clothes before every workout
- Do not share clothing or towels with others, especially at the gym
- Change your socks and underclothes at least once a day
- If you’re at the gym, make use of the cleaning wipes provided near all of the weight and cardio equipment.
- Take a shower after your workout
- Always wear shoes in public places such as gyms, swimming pools, etc.
- Avoid tight clothing as it may make your skin warm and damp
- Don’t ignore any symptoms – consult a doctor if you notice any cut or scratch on your skin
These fungal infections are not pleasant at all and may force you to quit your gyming sessions. Make smart and healthy choices to enjoy your workouts. In case you develop any type of fungal infection, you can apply a top quality antifungal ointment or a skin fungal infection treatment cream for getting a happier and healthier skin.