For those who think that infections are meant for only the hot and humid summers, it is time for a raincheck! The truth is that negligence can cause fungal infection such as ringworm, jock itch and athlete’s foot to take place even in cold weather. But, a few precautions, especially for the winter season will make sure that you stay free of any type of fungal skin infection.
- Take a bath everyday: We sweat in winters too, albeit very less compared to other seasons. This sweat is enough to form a breeding ground for fungi. Taking a bath everyday ensures that the skin is clean and free of any unwanted moisture & irritants.
- Wear clean and dry clothes: We sweat less in winters and assume that our clothes are wearable the next day. After all, who gets to know what’s worn beneath the sweater. Dirty clothes can cause friction and make you uncomfortable. Moreover, washing them regularly ensures that any fungi present has been washed away.
- Wash a woollen that has soaked perspiration: Something that we all have done is wearing the same woollen all through the season. Your sweater/jacket soaks perspiration, especially around the underarm region, making it an irritant if kept unclean.
- Use the right moisturizer: While many of use switch to using oils for skin nourishment, is it the right type of oil for your skin? Few oils generate heat that can lead to sweating, which then leads to unwanted moisture. Nourish your skin, but with the right moisturizer or oil.
- Keep your pets and their belongings clean: In case you have a pet, give them regular baths and make sure they are dry after one. Wash all their belongings at regular intervals and take them to a vet if you notice anything unusual on their skin.
Winters can be as bad as summers when it comes down to fungal infections. In case you get one, do follow the above mentioned precautions and use an over-the-counter topical anti-fungal cream in india for faster relief.