Fungal infections of the skin can affect various parts of the body – neck, back, shoulders, foot, groin, and even the underarms. If you’re continuously experiencing itching in your underarms which doesn’t go away even after you keep the area clean and dry, there are high chances that you’re suffering from an underarm fungal infection.
Like all other fungal infections like ringworm, athlete’s foot and jock itch, even underarm fungal infections are caused by fungi that thrives in dark, warm and moist weather environment. Sweating, irritation, and also few deodorants you use can cause the skin lesions to get infected by bacteria whenever there are breaks in the skin. This can lead to underarm fungal infections. Further, the infection can also be contracted by scratching other infected areas of the body.
Some of the common symptoms of underarm fungal infection include:
- Darker tinted discoloration of underarm skin
- Itching and burning due to skin damage and too much scratching
- Flakes of skin on clothing
Prevention and Treatment
Let us now look at some of the best ways to prevent underarm fungal infections:
- Avoid sharing the personal belongings such as clothes, towels, hair brush, etc. of an infected person.
- Keep the infected area clean and wash it thoroughly while bathing. Also, ensure to dry the area well.
- Stay away from the deodorants or perfumes you used prior to the infection as there is a high chance that they have fungus attached to them.
- Wear lighter, breathable clothes for proper ventilation and try to avoid any buildup of sweat.
- Avoid scratching the affected area as it can make the skin prone to more infections.
- Consume Vitamin C enriched foods such as broccoli, tomatoes, oranges, etc. to fight fungal infections.
- You can use ice cubes against the rash to get relief from itching.
- Slide lemon over the affected area. The citric acid present in lemon can be useful in killing the bacteria in your underarms.
- Apply a top quality antifungal ointment or skin fungal infection treatment cream in order to effectively get rid of the condition.
While all fungal infections of the skin are troublesome, they are also easily treatable with the help of the best antifungal creams in India. So apply these creams as directed by your doctor and follow a hygienic day-to-day lifestyle in order to keep fungal infections at bay.